Monday, July 13, 2009

Apple Cup Pies

Pies to me are like the beauty queens of dessert, but at the same time supremely elegant. Pies intimidate me. Cupcakes don't. So when I saw these amazing little "cup pies" I thought, "Maybe I can do this." I declare my first venture into pie-making a success! Maybe not quite a visual one, but I can work on it. 

My father is truly a master pie baker and apple is his favorite, so these little cuties were his Father's Day present, and they were very well received. My sister was surprising wild for them (she usually hates pie) and since the recipe does leave some extra dough, I made more for her birthday breakfast, the very next day. As you can see, the first time they were rimless, the next with. I think I prefer the first look, but either way, adorable as hell! Tasty, too.

Oh, also, I'm leaving to spend 2 weeks in London, Berlin and Munich. I doubt I'll be cooking anything, but if I'm able to steal any internet, I'll be sure to post about my adventures! If not, see you in two weeks.

My wittle sister is 15! And taller than me... Grr...

Apple Cup Pies
Makes 6

Ingredients: 

Crust
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan margarine, cubed and chilled
6 tablespoons ice water
2 tablespoons soy milk
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

Filling 
2 large, tart apples
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
generous pinch of nutmeg 

Directions:

Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Cut the chilled margarine into the flour mixture with a fork until it clumps together into a corse meal. Add the water and continue cutting with the fork until the dough holds together slightly, and add extra water if necessary. 

Split the dough into two equal parts. On a floured surface, flatten each half into a disk and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour (I left them in overnight, which was perfectly fine).

Dice the apples and then toss with the sugar, cinnamon, flour and nutmeg. Let rest for at least 15 minutes. 

Take one of the disks of dough and roll it out to about a 1/8" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3 1/2" biscuit cutter (for no edges) or a 4" one (for edges), cut out 6 circles. Repeat this with the second disk of dough. 

Grease 6 alternating cups in a cupcake pan (as in, so that none of the pies will be directly adjacent to one another). Press 6 of the rounds of dough into each greased cup, so that the bottoms and sides are completely covered and some of the dough overlaps over the sides, making sure there aren't any air bubbles under the dough. 

Divide the apples evenly into each pie crust. Take the remaining 6 dough rounds and cover each pie with a round. Press the edges of the bottom and the top together very well, to make a cohesive crust. If you choose to make an edge, design it how you choose (I used a fork to crimp it or whatever you call that). 

Cut 4 or 5 slits on the top of each pie. Brush the tops lightly with soymilk and then sprinkle with sugar, if desired. 

Bake for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F and bake for another 15, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. 

Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes (or until cool enough for you to handle) and then take them out of the pan to fully cool on a cooling rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment