Monday, August 17, 2009

Chocolate Madeleines

I can't remember if it was a vegan food blog or not, but I do remember reading about one woman's quest for the perfect madeleine. A quest that made me hungry. So when I was flipping through my never-used copy of Great Chefs Cook Vegan and saw this recipe with a madeleine serving suggestion, I got to it! 

I also made some mini muffins, but the madeleines were by far superior (and cuter). From what I've seen in the vegan food blogging community, Great Chefs Cook Vegan isn't the most popular cookbook. Which I guess is to be expected; these madeleines, like all the recipes in Great Chefs, are but one component in an elaborate dish, of which I am not yet baker enough to make. (I would definitely recommend the book anyway, especially if you're a chef -- vegan or not -- looking for a challenge.)

Regardless, these madeleines are delicious and have a great, complex flavor that would go really well with tea or coffee. 

Chocolate Olive Oil Madeleines 
Slightly adapted from Great Chefs Cook Vegan (Chefs Charlie Trotter & Matthias Merges)
Makes a huge pile

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup sucanat 
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup brewed coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. 

In another bowl, whisk together the coffee, vinegar, vanilla and olive oil. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry one and whisk together until smooth. 

Lightly oil a madeleine pan. Fill each mold with 1 scant teaspoon of batter. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the center of a madeleine springs back when touched (I suggest checking at 8).

Allow the cakes too cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove and cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack. 

Repeat for forever! (Or until the batter is used up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment